Friday, February 3, 2012

Wanted: Dog to Guard Squeaky Toys

“Jimmy won’t share his toys! Wahhhh!” Screams the indignant child.

“They’re my toys, I don’t have to share!” Jimmy retaliates.

“Jonathon Harrison Tucker, you will share your toys right now!” the Mom yells menacingly, “Give Tommy that Nerf Gun!” The Mom stands over the child in this scene, hands on hips, determined to change Jimmy’s attitude.

Some dog trainers believe you should assert your dominance over a dog, maybe claim the toy, and win the battle over the toy.

I’ve done this myself with one of my dogs and other dogs as well. It works to an extent--I do successfully get the object away from the dog. However, I haven’t found any lasting changes in the dog’s guarding behavior. I win each battle, but never the war.

I wasn’t the only person working with these dogs, as is often the case in most households, so even though I’d teach this method so everyone was on the same page and there would be consistency—I found little to no change in the dogs’ behavior, or worse, an increase in aggression.

In the cases of resource guarding where I’ve been called in, there's definitely one thing in common. Everyone is anxious about the dog’s aggressive behavior around his toys. You can hear it when they’re describing what happens when anyone or another pet gets near the dog’s toy. Some owners have called other trainers and were told to give each dog a treat while the object guarding is happening.

“Jimmy, here's an ice cream cone for you and your friends. Now will you share?” asks Mom.

“No! But thanks for the ice cream. I want more!”

“Okay, you’re still not sharing, but I’ll give you more ice cream.”

What’s my solution to this problem? Change the environment. Create a place where everyone can relax and not walk on eggshells. Dogs who misbehave don’t get toys.

Some dogs, depending on their breed, were originally created to guard and it’s in their genetics. I’ve met with several herding dogs with resource guarding issues. Protect the flock!/Protect this squeaky toy! They are fulfilling their breed by guarding their toys.

Some dogs are dominant and there’s a great multi-step plan for these guys, but it still begins with the path of least aggression: change the environment to create success.

“No Nerf guns Jimmy,” Mom says as she calmly puts away the Nerf guns.

“Wha….?” Jimmy watches.

“Let’s all go outside and play a new game,” Mom says.

“Yeah!”

_______

If you have any doggie issue questions, email Wendy at wendy@packbalance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment